Lucy Rogers Episode.6
In this episode I talks to Lucy Rogers better known as Dr-Lucy-Rogers usually said in one breath. She is a fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers. Lucy is known for being a strong presence in the maker scene and for her work in broadcasting. She was a judge on the last 3 series of BBC Robot Wars. Recently she embarked on the founding of a guild, the Guild of Makers, an organisation that supports the growth of the industry related to makers and providing them with support and opportunities to build a community together.
We met at the Pi Wars event at the Cambridge Computer Laboratory on a sunny Saturday in late April 2018. The 2019 event has already been confirmed and you can get dates and more info by joining their mailing list. The event was very well attended, with teams of makers of all ages as well as school children running their Raspberry Pi brained robots around a series of 7 challenges. It's with great thanks to organisers Mike Horne & Tim Richardson (and their sponsors) for putting on the event and allowing us access as press (got our own room and everything).
Amongst other things we talk about:
- Pi Wars listing the challenges
- We mention Brian Corteil
- The Guild of Makers and what it is
- Guild of Makers meetup
- Autodesk Birmingham
- Andy Stafford-Clark
- Pete wood RS
- Rob Ives
- Scouting & Baden Powell
- LED Zeppelin (IoT model that flashes when Stairway to Heaven is searched on Google, How to: will be available on DesignSpark).
- Rolls Royce, Newcastle
- Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Josh Widdicombe Will Make Your Life Better on Radio 2
- Lucy Rogers Stand-up (can't find it sorry).
- Maker Faire UK 2018
- Robot Wars and becoming a judge
- Dr Sue Black
- This podcast (you've found the place to look for that already)
- #MakersHour on twitter
This episode was recorded and edited by Robert Nixdorf and Dominic Morrow (who is I). The music in this episode is provided Royalty Free by the Band of the US Marine Corp (oorah). It is a MorrowWorks production for the internet.